Position: Director of Business Development
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Who We Are
CGI+ is a dynamic, entrepreneurial, fast-growing multifamily real estate investment and development firm based in Los Angeles and is seeking a Director of Business Development for our Los Angeles office. Founded in 2006, CGI+ primary strategy includes both value-add investments and ground up development, largely in the apartment business. The firm’s existing portfolio includes multifamily, extended stay corporate housing, hospitality and retail assets located in California and in key cities in the Southeastern and Southwestern U.S. CGI+ is embarking on an aggressive growth plan, with a goal of establishing itself as one of the nation’s premier investor and developer of multifamily communities in select strategic target markets across the nation.
The Director of Business Development will be a Los Angeles based position working directly with company CEO & CFO. They will be responsible for business development, overseeing and maintaining new business relationships for all funds and acquisitions. This person will create and implement a comprehensive new business development program, together with Senior Management and the Investor Relations team, designed to increase the Company’s identity in the marketplace, position it competitively with identified prospects and consultants, promote its products and services, and ultimately achieve success in closing business and solidifying existing client and consultant relationships.
What You’ll Do
- Bring a strategic approach to client management by developing a strategic plan for each major client relationship, matching Company investment capabilities and proactively pursuing opportunities to raise capital.
- Hold regular meetings to update investors on new initiatives, as well as client status and fund performance.
- Develop and execute strategy for developing new business opportunities:
- Create and maintain information on targeted prospects and new business opportunities with an organized plan for phone and in-person contact; focusing in areas where the Company does not currently have existing relationships
- Proactively seek out, uncover, and provide executives with current market information regarding prospect, clients, consultants, and competitors that improves the Company’s competitive position.
- Give new business presentations and client review presentations either alone or in conjunction with senior management.
- Represent the Company in a variety of capacities designed to raise the identity and attractiveness of the Company and its products through industry events and prospect/client sponsored events.
- Evaluate current marketing and client service materials; making ongoing contributions based on new information from outside sources, including clients, consultants and competitors.
- Communicate proactively on all marketing and sales activities; including, but not limited to, the Fundraising and IR team phone calls.
- Work with executives to organize annual client conferences and fund meetings.
- Attend relevant industry conferences to understand current trends and substance within the industry, as well as to network with clients, consultants, and prospects.
- Document in Salesforce within 72 hours of any client/prospect/consultant meeting. Ensure post-meeting follow-up items are timely and accurately completed.
- Collaborating with Media Relations, Internal Communications and Marketing on external messages and social media strategy
- Assist in the development and preparation of presentations and marketing materials for investors such as pitch books, executive summaries, investor reports, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need
- Strong academic background with a bachelor’s degree required in a relevant field of study (business, finance, real estate, or accounting). MBA or Graduate degree (with financial discipline) strongly preferred.
- At least 5-8 years of experience in the institutional investment industry in a direct capital raising role, including demonstrated experience in making client presentations and securing new business. Additional experience in a supporting role will be highly regarded as well.
What Will Get You Noticed
- A well-established reputation in the advisory business, with key client relationships that will expand and/or enhance the Company’s existing client base. Any additional strong client relationships outside the U.S. markets will also be highly desirable.
- A proven track record of raising capital – preferably across a broad real estate platform; including equity and debt products; with diverse investment strategies and vehicle structures.
- A broad network of contacts within the institutional investment community, including investors, consultants, peer advisors, and board members, permitting conversations and meetings to commence immediately upon joining the Compan.
- Experience taking a new product idea from the initial structuring through the eventual product launch.
- A strong analytical capability and demonstrated knowledge of real estate and financial markets; with the ability to communicate this knowledge to clients and prospects.
- Excellent presentation skills, with the demonstrated confidence and competence to articulate the Company’s philosophy, processes and products; as well as a wide range of technical information, as required by investors and consultants.
- A personal track record of operating effectively as part of a new business development team; understanding how a team effort can add value to the long term growth of the business as a whole.
- The ability to establish personal objectives on a quarterly and annual basis necessary to evaluate own performance and ensure growth in all aspects of the job.
- Highly-driven and self-motivated – striking a balance between working collaboratively across the organization, with a great deal of autonomy in the Western Region.
- An ownership mindset which extends to every facet of the business – accepting accountability for personal actions, decisions and specific performance.
- A willingness to communicate transparently across the organization, both verbal and written, in a clear and insightful manner.
- A natural aptitude for sales, along with the strategic skills to effectively manage the process.
- Exceptional relationship skills with a proven ability to establish rapport with a wide range of individuals, internally and externally.