Los Angeles, CA
CGI+ is a dynamic, entrepreneurial, fast-growing multifamily real estate investment and development firm based in Los Angeles and we are seeking a Head of Construction Professional for our well-renowned Real Estate Development and Investment Firm. Founded in 2006, CGI+ primary strategy includes both value-add investments and ground up development, largely in the apartment business. The firm’s existing portfolio includes multifamily, extended stay corporate housing, hospitality and retail assets located in California and in key cities in the Southeastern and Southwestern U.S. CGI+ is embarking on an aggressive growth plan, with a goal of establishing itself as one of the nation’s premier investor and developer of multifamily communities in select strategic target markets across the nation.
The Head of Construction is responsible for overseeing all aspects of construction and construction services – from preconstruction and/or owner’s representation through substantial completion and warranty. Management of preconstruction, construction administration, project management staff and field construction superintendents is also a key focus. This role includes supervision of all value add projects in additional to new development. This position is responsible and very hands on in creating the annual corporate budget and the independents budgets as they relate to the projects themselves. This role reports directly to the COO at CGI+.
Key responsibilities include:
- Serves as a team leader in the various processes of estimating construction cost for new construction projects, providing assistance and feedback on construction related issues and costs to other departments.
- Provide support to acquisitions team to review construction related issues.
- Works closely with development personnel during the site selection process and in preparing cost estimates for new projects.
- Assists development staff in coordinating preliminary architectural drawings.
- Ensures that project plans take into account proper engineering.
- Ensures project success of GC projects and 3rd party projects through delivery of quality product on time, on budget, and at quality.
- Establishes a logical, yet aggressive construction schedule, monitors schedule closely and communicates changes in schedule to all stakeholders.
- Leads the buy-out process from bid to contract execution and negotiates all contracts.
- Ensures that fully executed contracts are in place before any subcontractor begins work – including applicable lien waivers, affidavits and certificates of insurance.
- Meets regularly with project owners, design professionals, vendors and others to identify/resolve issues critical to the successful completion of the project.
- Tracks project costs and report to upper management.
- Follows-up on project inspections by outside entities and prepares responses to inspection reports. Initiates
corrective action based on those reports.
- Oversees accountability for job site safety and labor relations.
- Manages the turnover and close out of projects.
- Works with ownership to resolve any warranty issues.
Workflow Management and Quality Control:
- Develops and implements detailed, automated field reports to track progress against critical path schedule and monitors those reports regularly.
- Establishes a format for maintaining a daily project logs and ensures that construction personnel monitor and review them.
- Reviews all construction draws with Construction Managers and Construction Accountants on a designated construction draw timetable.
- Coordinates project turnover process with management personnel by establishing mutually agreed upon quality standards and inspection reports.
- Reviews and monitors completion of all punch lists with construction personnel and communicates status of progress to all stakeholders.
- Ensures that construction sites are neat and organized and that curb appeal is a continual focus during the construction process.
- Enforces contract guidelines with subcontractors and vendors and discharges subcontractors who fail to comply with contract requirements, job specifications, and/or established quality standards.
- Creates monthly investor reports related to construction.
- Recruits, selects, trains, supervises and counsels construction staff in accordance with company policy and EEO guidelines.
- Performs appraisals and provides career guidance.
- Establishes and oversees policies and procedures for construction operations.
- Trains and supervises various management positions, including Construction Managers, Project Superintendents, General Superintendents, and Construction Administrators.
- Establishes goals and incentive compensation programs for all construction personnel.
- Ensures that a safe work environment is in place for employees/contractors, as well as a safe living environment for residents during the construction process. Supervises “Safety Director” for each project.
- Conducts periodic staff meetings with construction staff to address construction progress, safety issues, regulatory compliance, policy issues, and other corporate business.
The Head of Construction will communicate regularly with all necessary internal employees, subcontractors, vendors, suppliers, on-site management personnel, residents, financial partners, outside consultants, and other individuals as deemed necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Extensive experience in all aspects of multi-family and mixed-use construction.
- College degree in construction related field preferred – construction technology, civil or mechanical engineering, construction management, architecture — or experience commensurate with position objectives.
- Drafting or engineering background helpful.
- Knowledge of construction methods, practices, materials, estimating, scheduling and management.
- Experience in managing a staff, including implementing growth plans for employees.
- Experience in defining the strategy and managing a construction division.
- Experience in creating and implementing processes and procedures.
- Proven track record in managing multiple construction projects simultaneously in different geographical areas.
- Extensive experience in developing detailed job specifications and coordinating plan reviews.
- Strong track record of bringing construction projects in on schedule and on budget.
- Extensive experience in construction scheduling.
- Extensive experience in complying with and training field personnel on regulatory requirements related to construction, including EPA, OSHA, etc.
- Effective contract negotiation and buyout skills.
- Effective conflict resolution skills in a win-win environment.
- Strong track record of bidding out construction projects, negotiating contracts and monitoring/managing subcontractor performance.
- Extensive experience in managing costs, tracking project budgets and developing reporting systems for project cost control and budget status.